I have now watched 102 films released in 1956. The complete list is here. My new randomized viewing schedule worked in keeping me interested. In fact, the random number generator saved some of the best films for last this time!
1956 is not noted as a “great” year in film history but I ended it with too many films I rated 9/10 or above to fit on my list of personal favorites. I had a hard time selecting among them or ranking them. Also rans were: Attack; Patterns; Somebody Up There Likes Me; Street of Shame; Le mystere Picasso; Early Spring; A Town Like Alice; and Secrets of Life. Note: I am saving my review of Moby Dick for the upcoming Animals in Film blogathon. Totals include that film. I will revise this post if necessary.
10. Baby Doll – directed by Elia Kazan
9. The King and I – directed by Walter Lang
8. Bigger Than Life – directed by Nicholas Ray
7. The Killing – directed by Stanley Kubrick
6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers – directed by Don Siegel
5. Aparajito – directed by Satyajit Ray
4. The Bad Seed – directed by Mervyn LeRoy
3. The Burmese Harp – directed by Kon Ichikawa
2. The Red Balloon – directed by Albert Lamorisse
- The Searchers – directed by John Ford