I’ve now seen 80 films that were released in 1955. A complete list of the films I have seen is here. A few were reviewed only here. It was quite a deep year with 59 available films rated 7/10 or higher by IMDb users. Lately, I have thought that it would never end! That’s not to say that I didn’t watch many fantastic films – too many to fit all the films I rated 9/10 or over in this favorites list. Also rans were: Richard III; The Desperate Hours; Night and Fog; All That Heaven Allows; Oklahoma!; Marty; and Rebel Without a Cause.
I had a really hard time choosing among the top three films. I based my decision on the one I would want to watch again first.
10. Diabolique – directed by Georges-Henri Clouzot
9. The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz – directed by Luis Buñuel
8. Rififi – directed by Jules Dassin
7. Bad Day at Black Rock – directed by John Sturges
6. The Big Combo – directed by Joseph Lewis
5. Night of the Hunter – directed by Charles Laughton
4. The Ladykillers – directed by Alexander Mackendrick
3. Pather Panchali – directed by Satyajit Ray
2. Ordet – directed by Carl Th. Dreyer
- Smiles of a Summer Night – directed by Ingmar Bergman