I’ve now seen 57 films that were released in 1951. A complete list can be found here. A very few films were reviewed only here. It was a good year on the high end but lacking somewhat in depth below that.
Any way, I have fourteen 1951 films that I would call favorites. I reluctantly left out The Prowler, The River, The Man in the White Suit and The African Queen. Another day I would probably slice and dice another way. The ranking is fairly arbitrary as well. Bottom line: These are all films I would watch again any time.
10. A Christmas Carol – directed by Brian Desmond-Hurst
9. An American in Paris – directed by Vicente Minnelli
8. A Place in the Sun – directed by George Stevens
7. Death of a Salesman – directed by Laslo Benedeck
6. A Streetcar Named Desire – directed by Elia Kazan
5. Ace in the Hole – directed by Billy Wilder
4. Strangers on a Train – directed by Alfred Hitchcock
3. The Browning Version – directed by Anthony Asquith
2. Early Summer – directed by Yasujiro Ozu
1. The Day the Earth Stood Still – directed by Robert Wise