I have now seen 64 films that were released in 1950. The complete list is here. I decided to cut things a bit short and get on to the riches of 1951 since I don’t have long before I hit the road again.
This was a fantastic year for film on the high end. The rankings of the first five films on my favorites list could be sorted in any number of ways on any given day. There was only one new-to-me film on the list this time. Several of the films were reviewed here earlier as part of either Noir Month or the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die blog club.
10. Winchester ’73 (Directed by Anthony Mann)
9. Young Man with a Horn (Directed by Michael Curtiz)
8. Panic in the Streets (Directed by Elia Kazan)
7. Harvey (Directed by Henry Koster)
6. Gun Crazy (Directed by Joseph H. Lewis)
5. The Asphalt Jungle (Directed by John Huston)
4. All About Eve (Directed by Joseph L. Mankowicz)
3. In a Lonely Place (Directed by Nicholas Ray)
2. Rashomon (Directed by Akira Kurosawa)
1. Sunset Blvd. (Directed by Billy Wilder)